Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Rainbow Earring on Grey Background

I worked for this one non-profit in Georgia for almost three years. My birthday is in September and one of my staff members, one of the only ones who seemed to like me at all, gave me a pair of rainbow earrings. I don’t remember much about her other than she was an identical twin and she and her sister drove home to Pensacola almost every weekend. I had not been there yet when she used to tell me about her drives down to Florida, but now I know that it is a long ways to go and turn around in a couple of days.

All that summer before my birthday the board chair had been watching me. She went to the beach for a month and when she came back I said that things had been quiet. I didn’t think she believed me.

By the end of the summer, I was weeping in my office every day with the door closed or taking off in the middle of meetings.

By the end of that year I had resigned.


Digital Photograph by Doug Greenberg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home