Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Black and White Drama Masks


These may be some of my oldest earrings, dead to me now not because one is missing or they are broken, but because I can’t imagine putting them on. They are so over-sized and so set in that time in my life that began when I was nine years old and took my first acting class, and when I tried out for Children’s Theater productions and didn’t get cast as Dorothy and had to sing a solo in the chorus. They were what I might have worn when I stopped eating and wore black turtle necks and a girdle even when I weighed 74 pounds and hung out with the other drama kids and was the president of the Thespian Society.

I started off as a drama major at Berkeley, but soon dropped back and changed from wanting to act to wanting to be a critic, which I did for more than 20 years no matter what else was happening. There was the life I lived nursing babies or working on abortion rights, and then the life at night when I sat in the fourth row center and got up at 3 a.m. to write what I had seen.

I can’t imagine wearing these now, because no one here in Georgia would have a clue.


Digital Photgraph by Doug Greenberg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home